Talk to a customer service agent

1-888-299-6441
Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. ET

News & Articles


E-Cigarette Explodes in Man's Face

Nov 05, 2015

By Dean George

On Oct. 26th the Department of Transportation banned battery-powered portable devices from passengers’ checked luggage because some of them have caught fire in-flight. That restriction applies to e-cigarettes, which use lithium batteries.

If the experience of a Naples, Florida man is any indication, you don’t have to be 30,000 feet in the air for the popular smoking devices to be a health hazard.


Twenty-one-year old Evan Spahlinger rested in a medically induced coma last week after the e-cigarette he was puffing blew up in his face. When the device exploded, he also inhaled the flavor cartridge which caused internal burning.

His sister Ema Richardson told reporters she was lying in bed with her two-year-old in another room when she heard an explosion. “I found my brother not breathing with his whole faced burned and his neck burned,” she said.

Upon finding her brother, she saw him covered in soot from the chest up. Soot from the explosion was still visible on her tile floor, she told local media last week.

Spahlinger was rushed to a local hospital in Tampa before being air-lifted to Miami where doctors placed him in a medically induced coma. Richardson said doctors at Miami’s Kendall Regional Medical Center Burn Center told her that her brother has internal and external burns and lung damage from the explosion.

Richardson recalled her brother saying one thing before they placed him in the medical-induced coma: "He said, 'I'm done, that's it.' That's the only thing he said.”

As of October 30th Spahlinger remained in a Miami hospital and had been upgraded to “fair condition.”

Coincidentally, Spahlinger is the second Floridian injured by an explosive e-cigarette within a week. On Oct. 20th, Randall Cales of Cape Coral, Florida suffered second and third degree burns to his upper right thigh when an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket. Cales later underwent two surgeries and a skin graft after the accident.

These are not the first accounts of e-cigarettes exploding while being used. In 2012 Agent Straight-Talk reported on a Pensacola, Florida man who suffered burns, the loss of some front teeth and part of his tongue when the lithium battery of his e-cigarette exploded in his face.

In March of this year a Santa Ana, California man told a local ABC News affiliate that he had an e-cigarette explode in his hand and lodge in the ceiling. In every instance of an e-cigarette exploding investigators suspect the lithium battery.

More recently Dental Wire has reported on the oral health concerns that e-cigarette use has tripled among teens and young adults and is leading many youth into becoming traditional cigarette smokers.

The Food and Drug Administration is reportedly in the process of developing national regulations for the e-cigarette industry.

Sources: New York Daily News, FOX News Radio, wsvn.com, techtimes.com, motherjones.com, winknews.com
Photo source: ocregister.com


Copyright 2015, Bloom Insurance Agency, LLC

Archive
Top News

Get a free quote on a dental plan.

It's fast, easy and secure.

Legal


Site Navigation


Resources